Monday, October 27, 2008

The Hierarchy of the Food chain

A number of weeks ago I noticed my Asian neighbor that lives behind me was raising pigeons and doves. I thought this was a little odd, but upon thinking about it further I thought to each their own. Who am I to think someone else is weird? After all, people may think I am weird for having two unruly dogs.

Today the same neighbor came over and pounded on the door until I answered - I mean pounded... I make it a habit to not answer the door during election season because it is usually some douche bag wanting to talk me into believing their politics. When I opened the door it was my little Asian neighbor. He was in a panic like a mother that had lost her three year old at the mall. He was talking so fast and with such panic It took a little bit for me to understand what was wrong.

As it turns out Mr. Ly was out training his pigeons to return (think boomerang) after a little flight around theneighborhood when a Hawk came out of no where and attempted to assassinate one of the pigeons. In a moment of greatness the pigeon, in the midst of a dire situation, dove quickly to the ground and landed in my backyard. Then as a last ditch effort to save it's own life it ran under my deck. Apparently Hawks do not go under decks? You learn something new everyday? When I fully understood the magnitude of the near tragic events I quickly gave Mr. Ly permission to enter my yard in an attempt to retrieve his pet pigeon. I watched him attempt to retrieve his physically and psychologically damaged pet with a fish net and long stick for about 10 minutes. It was as entertaining as the last time I went to the circus. Mr. Ly eventually retrieved his pet and I could see that there was some damage to the pigeons wing with a small trickle of blood emerging from the body.

As he was leaving he thanked me again for letting him get the pigeon. He loaded up the pigeon in his Scion station wagon and drove it home. All afternoon I couldn't help but wonder what he would do once the pigeon was back home. Do you take a pigeon to the veterinarian? Did he tape a Popsicle stick to its wing and put a band aid on the wound? Does anyone know what the care protocol is for a physically and psychologically damaged pet pigeon?

No comments:

Post a Comment