Thursday, November 6, 2008


Well the election is finally behind us and we've elected a new leader. I for one was pleased with the outcome. Not so much because I believe that Barack Obama is the best representation of me, and me alone, but because I believe he will be the best leader and representative for everyone in the country.

I've never been discriminated against because of race, sex, or creed - so I don't claim to understand it -but watching the out pouring of emotion that I saw in Grant park on Tuesday night was moving. Thousands of our fellow Americans around this country found some kind of redemption in a black man being elected to the highest office in the land. Reading reports and editorials the next day were so intriguing because many blacks didn't believe he would win, regardless of the countless states that were awarded to him throughout the night, until they actually announced him as the next President at 10:00:02 that night, they really believed that it would somehow be taken from them.

I never thought President Obama represented everything that I believe in, but I did evaluate the candidates and chose the one that I thought was best, based on the needs of the country - not just my needs. I feel good about the fact that millions of people in this country that thought they couldn't reach their full potential now somehow think maybe they can because Barack did. It seems foolish, but again, I've never lived with discrimination and I don't claim to understand it.

I'll be praying for President Obama as I have for every President. I don't think he is a terrorist, and I never believed the republican smear machine that twisted many of the facts about him. In my opinion, he may be the most influential leader of my lifetime akin to Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Martin Luther King Jr., and Ronald Reagan. As Americans we should all wish him the best - our lifestyles depend on it.

As for Senator McCain - He is an American hero and an inspiration to all that serve their country. His concession speech was the best I've ever seen and really highlighted his national hero status with me. He should be admired by all. However, I always did believe the Pundits and I never believed the Mac was back.

Peace - Twiggy.

P.S. - that has to be a Newport or a Kool.

No comments:

Post a Comment