Thursday, November 6, 2008

Don't Fake the Funk

Sen. Norm Coleman's lead over challenger Al Franken in the U.S. Senate race got even tighter Wednesday, virtually guaranteeing a recount that would be Minnesota's largest ever, according to Startribune.com. And the recount could stretch well into next month.

On Wednesday, Coleman claimed victory when his unofficial lead over Franken ballooned to 725 votes out of roughly 2.9 million. By day’s end, though, as officials from around the state sent adjusted figures to the state, that margin had dropped to 477 votes.

Tell me this ... I voted on Tuesday and colored in a number of little circles on a white sheet of paper that I slid into a machine when I was finished. I believe it's called "Casting a ballot." Now it seems to me that this box I slid that piece of paper into was some sort of computer (possibly something called a scanner?). However, I'm beginning to think there might have been a midget (or some other “little person”) in that box who took my ballot and went to a chalkboard and tallied a mark for whomever I voted for. It's the only way humanly possible that I can see the numbers changing. Can someone please clarify if there truly is a midget (or possibly a dwarf or elf?) inside that box?


Ironically, I'm unsure why I've attached this photo of Adam Morrison and Yao Ming.

2 comments:

Twiggy said...

Good points for sure, however I believe the issue is less with the little box and more with the intelligence of the general public. You see, back in 2000 and 2004 we got a little lesson as to how stupid people really are. Remember the lawsuits in Florida about the hanging chads and people not following the correct procedure to punch a hole in a paper ballot? I believe it's the same type of issue here...People are not smart enough to follow the directions on the top of the ballot to fill in a little oval with a sharpie. In my opinion, if you can't follow directions your vote should not be counted. It's no different than getting an F on a test in school if you didn't follow the test instructions.

Your pic confuses the hell out of me.

Maggy said...

My ballot didn't have instructions, at least I didn't see them, but the ballot is pretty simple since all you have to do is put an 'X' next to the name of the person you want to win. I hope I didn't accidentally vote for John McCain. Oh well, either way my guy won, which can't be said for Dave the Painter's guy. If you voted for McCain is it akin to failing a true/false test? I'd say yes, and I'd say you'd have to have an IQ below 70 to fail that test.

Post a Comment